Young people recent

Listed below are services available in Herefordshire, for people who have survived recent rape or sexual assault.

Which service is right for the victim/survivor at this time?

What to do if someone tells you they have been sexually assaulted


Check are they safe - If they are in immediate danger call 999

Here are some steps you can take:

  1. Listen and Believe: Listen attentively without judgment. Believe their account, survivors often fear not being believed, so your support matters.
  2. Safety and Consent: Ensure their safety. If the assault is recent, encourage them to seek medical attention. Consent is crucial; do not pressure them into reporting or taking any specific action.
  3. Encourage Reporting: Let them know their options. They can report to the police, Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARCs), or other support services. Reporting is their choice, and you should respect it.
  4. Medical Attention: If they haven’t already, suggest visiting a SARC or a sexual health clinic. SARCs provide medical, emotional, and practical support for survivors. Find rape and sexual assault referral centres - NHS ( (The police will organise appropriate medical examinations for children under the age of 14).
  5. Preserve Evidence: If they decide to report, encourage them to preserve evidence (clothing, messages, etc.) without washing or changing. Explain that this can be crucial for investigations.
  6. Support Networks: Help them connect with support networks. Speak to a teacher, school nurse or other trusted adult.  Our Services - WMRSASC have specialist advisors who can discuss options with them and will be able to offer appropriate practical and emotional support tailored to their circumstances. Contacting Childline | Childline is open 24 hours 7 days a week, when you call them on 0800 1111 you will get through to a counsellor or you can have a 1-2-1 counsellor chat


Do they want to report to the police?

If in immediate danger, call 999.

If reporting or advice, call 101

Report online Report a crime | West Mercia Police

If you are concerned about a young person click on the following link Concerned About a Child? - Herefordshire Safeguarding Boards and Partnerships