Safeguarding Adults – Telford and Wrekin

If you are worried about a vulnerable person who lives in the Telford and Wrekin area being abused or neglected by other people, please say something.

If the person is at immediate risk of harm ring 999.

If you suspect that a vulnerable person is being abused or neglected, please report this via:

Family Connect (Option 3)
Telephone: 01952 385385 (when prompted please select option 3)
Monday to Friday from 9am – 5pm

Emergency Duty Team
Telephone: 01952 676500
Monday to Sunday after 5pm

West Mercia Police
Telephone: 0300 333 3000 or 101.

Adult safeguarding is all about keeping vulnerable adults safe. It
means making sure that adults who might be at risk of abuse, neglect,
or harm are protected.

It is about people and organisations working together to prevent and stop both the risks and experience of abuse or neglect.

If you are worried that an adult is being abused, neglected, or exploited, here are some key points to know.

  • Abuse, neglect and exploitation can take many forms, such as physical, psychological, financial, sexual, institutional, or neglect.
  • Abuse, neglect and exploitation can happen anywhere, such as at home, in a care setting, in a public place, or online.
  • The person causing the harm may be someone the adult knows and trusts, such as a family member, a friend, a carer, or a professional. They may also be a stranger or someone who targets vulnerable adults for criminal purposes.
  • An adult may be at risk of harm if they have a disability, an illness, a mental health issue, or any other condition that makes them dependent on others or unable to protect themselves.
  • Signs of abuse, neglect and exploitation may include injuries, bruises, burns, changes in behaviour, mood, or appearance, isolation, fear, anxiety, or depression.
  • Cuckooing – taking over the home of a vulnerable person by using methods including threats of violence and abuse in order to establish a base for criminal activity

If you suspect that a vulnerable adult is being abused, neglected or exploitered, you should report your concerns to the Adult Protection Gateway Service at your local Health and Social Care Trust or the police. You can also contact other organisations that provide support and advice for vulnerable adults, such as Age UK Mind, or Samaritans.

You should not ignore or dismiss any signs of exploitation and abuse, as they may have serious and lasting consequences for the adult’s health, wellbeing, and safety.

You should not confront the person causing the harm, as this may put you or the adult at risk of further harm.

You should not promise to keep the adult’s situation a secret, as this may prevent them from getting the help they need. You should explain to the adult that you are concerned about them and that you want to help them by contacting the appropriate authorities or services.