If you suspect that an adult is being abused, neglected or exploited, you should report your concerns to the Adult Protection Gateway Service at your local Health and Social Care Trust or the police

If someone is injured or in immediate danger: Telephone: 999

If there is no emergency but you think a crime may have been committed:

Telephone: West Mercia Police 101

You can also email the police to inform them of concerns and start a conversation with them at contactus@westmercia.police.uk .

To report about a concern about adult abuse:

Please complete the safeguarding concern form: HSAB Concern Form

The following document will provide you with advice on how to complete the form: Concern Form Guidance

Not all situations will require reporting to the local authority as a safeguarding concern, for example when the impact on the person is low and you are satisfied that the abuse will not continue and you have taken action.

Please read this document for further information: Concern or Alternative Action.

If you require any advice or have continuing concerns contact the team using the details below:

01432 260715 (Monday to Friday from 9am-5pm)

0330 123 9309 (before 9am, after 5pm, and during weekends and public/bank holidays)

Email: Safeguarding@herefordshire.gov.uk

The Advice and Referral Team will  assist in any requests for Care Assessments or Carers Assessments. They can be contacted on 01432 260101

Adult safeguarding is all about keeping vulnerable adults safe. It means making sure that adults who might be at risk of abuse, neglect, or harm are protected.

It is about people and organisations working together to prevent and stop both the risks and experience of abuse or neglect.

If you are worried that an adult is being abused, neglected or exploited, here are some key points to know
  • Abuse, neglect and exploitation can take many forms, such as physical, psychological, financial, sexual, institutional, or neglect.
  • Abuse, neglect and exploitation can happen anywhere, such as at home, in a care setting, in a public place, or online.
  • The person causing the harm may be someone the adult knows and trusts, such as a family member, a friend, a carer, or a professional. They may also be a stranger or someone who targets vulnerable adults for criminal purposes.
  • An adult may be at risk of harm if they have a disability, an illness, a mental health issue, or any other condition that makes them dependent on others or unable to protect themselves.
  • Signs of abuse, neglect and exploitation may include injuries, bruises, burns, changes in behaviour, mood, or appearance, isolation, fear, anxiety, or depression.
  • Cuckooing – taking over the home of a vulnerable person by using methods including threats of violence and abuse in order to establish a base for criminal activity

You can also contact other organisations that provide support and advice for vulnerable adults, such as Age UK Mind, or Samaritans.

You should not ignore or dismiss any signs of abuse, neglect and exploitation, as they may have serious and lasting consequences for the adult’s health, wellbeing, and safety.

You should not confront the person causing the harm, as this may put you or the adult at risk of further harm.

You should not promise to keep the adult’s situation a secret, as this may prevent them from getting the help they need. You should explain to the adult that you are concerned about them and that you want to help them by contacting the appropriate authorities or services.